The internet is a risky place to share your sensitive personal and financial details. There are chances that your sensitive data could be stolen and misused. If you are in Texas and looking for loans online, there are sites that may be safe and those that are not. It is very important that you know how to protect your personal financial information when you apply for online loans in Texas. There are sites and institutions that are safe and those that are not.
Here are a few tips to safeguard your personal financial information online:
- With whom are you sharing your financial information online? Do a bit of research and learn to identify genuine sites from the scam sites. Do not share upfront your personal information with anybody who asks online. Most genuine sites give believable credentials and do not keep asking you repeatedly to apply for loans.
- Browser safety: It’s very important that you secure your browser and use any top-ranking encryption software to do the same. Usually the genuine sites which protect their customers’ details have a lock icon on their status bar to indicate that they are a secure site.
- Caution in the social media: If you are someone who is very active on social media like Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat, be careful about the personal details (for example, your social security number) that you part with.
- Strong password protection: Keep your password strong and secure. Do not share your password with anyone. Keep a good mix of letters, numbers, and special characters to make a strong and secure password.
- Check your credit score: A genuine site always checks for your credit score before giving a loan. Though there maybe a few sites that process online loans within 24hrs, it is essential to keep a track of your credit score.
- Check for domain address: When you get your confirmation mail, check whether it came from the same domain name as the company’s and that the company has a trustworthy reputation. If the mail is from a common group site like Yahoo or Hotmail etc., it may not be very reliable and worth a check again.
- Check for padlocks on the navigation bar and security site certification: the padlock is essential to check if the data has been transferred securely. Check for the valid period and expiry on the site’s security certificate. If the security certificate has expired do not deal with the site again.
Look for legitimate lenders who do not tempt you to part money for insurance cover, prepaid card, gift cards etc., Do your homework and check before you apply for an online loan.